Re: [APD] aeration & a planted tank

Hmm. It's not jsut principles, it's also the numbers.
Plants have a net uptake of O2 at night so the O2 level
will therefore be lower at night, other things being equal.
However, even without CO2 injection, a heavily planted
aquarium can (mind you I say "can," not "always will") have
more than adequate O2 at night with adding the bubbly. In
fact, I haven't in my own limited experience seen an O2
shortage unless the electricity shutdown overnight and the
pumps stopped. Which is why I've been curious about your
set-up.

George, Roger's, & Dan's notes collected here are
informative, as is the whole thread generally:

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/night.html

While the conversation centers on CO2 injection at night,
it's a nice knitting together of notes about CO2 and O2
levels.

Scott H.