Re: [APD] aeration & a planted tank

         Basically aeration causes the water to be lifted from the lower
levels to the surface. I haven't done the math but I don't think that a
rising column of air bubbles will present a significant surface area of
water to air to result in actual aeration. Any form of agitation should
help the gas exchange.

         Agitation is beneficial in the day too.. the plants deplete the
CO2 under good lighting and good gas exchange will replenish the CO2 thus
improving the plant growth.

         In a CO2 added tank the plant growth is much faster than in an
water circulated, surface agitated or aerated tank. I have equally good
results in both types.

         OTOH, I hate to see fish gasping in the mornings in a densely
planted tank with hyperactive plants (CO2 fed). I have noticed this
recently in a non CO2 tank.. time to thin the plants? There must be a
balance between the plant density & fish population, difficult to estimate
in my opinion.

         Anyone done the math on the surface area of a rising column of air
bubbles?

Raj