Re: [APD] aeration & a planted tank

I've tried it and haven't seen any benefit compared to
simply having good, thorough water movement. I can see it
as useful at night in a tank without added CO2, not many
plants or only very slow growing plants, and not much
light. Also, at higher water temps the gas content will be
lower.

In a tank without added CO2, it's not going to hurt to
aerate and I've run tanks that way too, even with
Biowheels, which do a pretty good job of mixing air and
water. But, of course, if I add CO2, the Biowheel goes back
on the shelf.

Scott H.
--- Raj <ggrk at blr_vsnl.net.in> wrote:

>          I have found aeration very beneficial to plants
> and fish in a
> heavily planted tank (Non CO2 injected). The aeration
> improves the gas
> equilibrium between water and air. I have noticed large
> fish gasping
> (funneling) early in the morning when the plants have
> almost depleted the
> water of O2 at night. I have lost some large goldfish
> some years ago due to
> this, smaller fish seem to get by with lower O2 levels at
> night. Now I use
> a spray bar and extra aeration to promote water movement.
> In a heavily
> planted tank water movement is restricted by the plants.
>
> Raj
>
> >          I've been wondering lately if it would be a
> good idea to stop
> >using the air pump and two stones on my planted
> community tank.  It has a
> >overly large (for the tank) Bio-wheel 300 which provides
> plenty of surface
> >agitation.  I use Flourish Excel and am wondering if the
> aeration is
> >driving out the Excel faster.

So far it looks like this might be the biggest year ever for Aquascaping Contest entries from countries outside of North America.

Share the fun; show your work.
The AGA's 6th Annual International Aquascaping Contest is open.

The deadline for submissions to the AGA Aquascaping contest is September 15.

Entries are only $5 and for that half a sawbuck you can have your AGA entry automatically entered in the ADA (Aqua Design Amano) contest for free, a savings in time and shipping costs!

Check it out at:
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org