[APD] back after long hiatus... with questions

It's been at least a year since I was a member of the list, and longer since I posted last.  I still have the same tank I set up over 2 years ago now with help from everyone on the list (thank you Tom Barr especially!).  In that time, my tank has looked very good, and very bad, but it has remained an awesome learning experience throughout. FWIW, it looks awesome now, since I've been paying atention to it enough.

So, my questions. I work at a LFS, and I'm setting some folks up with some nice planted tanks (finally, some customers interested in freshwater planted tanks!), and I want to make sure I'm doing them right.

First, I'm working with a guy who's converting his 120g reef tank into a fresh planted tank.  He has two 250w 10K double ended HQI metal halides, and wants to use these for his tank, which seems like overkill, but also looks badass.  He has a large wet/dry, and although I know canisters are better since you don't loose so much CO2, this is what he's working with... Anyway, I'm making him one of these: http://www.gwapa.org/articles/inline_co2_reactor/, because I really like the one I have running on my tank.  One thing though: Should I make it longer, since he will most likely have to run more CO2 than it was designed for?  Speaking of that, I was thinking he'd really need to crank the C02 up... how much do you think he'll need per minute or second?

Secondly, I'm setting up another 120 (popular tank these days, huh?) for a lady who wants to do it all right from the start.  She asked about undergravel heating cables, and I said I wasn't sure how useful they were... thoughts?  Also, I was going to use the Eheim Pro II 2128 filter, and run the same inline CO2 reactor I linked above.  Opinions and/or thoughts on these filters?  What would you guys recommend for lighting this tank? I was thinking of 2x250w MH system, but that's only because I saw the aforementioned system and was awed.

Thanks forthe help,
Jared