Re: [APD] Gypsum

Darrell,
 I wouldn't argue with the extension service article because gypsum can only
have an effect if the soil is calcium depleted. Adding excess calcium to
already calcium rich soil won't help. The soil in my backyard at the time I
added gypsum was calcium depleted -- tomatoes suffered blossom end rot if
the soil was untreated. My husband, a clay minerologist, assures me Ca can
have major impact on clay structure. As to whether that translates into a
noticeable change in soil properties is another matter. Overall, though, the
gypsum (and I got mine from broken, used sheetrock rather than buying the
stuff) doesn't have as much impact as compost in my opinion.
 Liz

--
Breakthroughs are not achieved through consensus thinking.