[APD] Re: Fertilizer Dosing Pump

(Scott wrote)
> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 06:06:31 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "S. Hieber" <shieber at yahoo_com>
> Subject: Re: [APD] Re:  Fertilizer Dosing Pump
> To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
>
> But the flow rate minimum is not critically important, no?
> Can't one accomodate the rate of flow by diluting the
> solution?
>
> Scott H.

Hi Scott,
No, not critically important in a large tank at all and you could dilute.
Remember, I was wanting to dose a small volume of ferts in a small tank. But
I figure if I don't have to dilute the TMG with this setup, then why should
I? With these APT pumps I just keep a small reservoir of TMG in a Tupperware
container and when it gets low I throw some more in. One less tank chore to
do. And I go weeks between having to top off the reservoir under the tank
with pure TMG. I'd be doing that much more often with a dilute solution.

The only other peristaltic pump I looked at seriously was an Aqualine Bushke
single dosing pump, the SP 3000 but that had a minimum volume delivery of
three liters an hour. This one is usually $90-$100 mail order. Nice unit,
but too much volume for a small tank IMO

But more than that, if you look at the price of peristaltic dosing pumps,
new from manufacturers (excluding resells from ebay), like the Litermeter
and Reefdosingpumps.com, most cost more than the two pumps I bought
combined. Bare minimum with no plastic enclosure and you supplying the plug,
you can buy these APT pumps for $59 each new.

Regards,
Dave