Re: [APD] Re: CaCO3 vs CaCl2/NaHCO3 in non-CO2 tank

Just a couple of thoughts here:
I've never noticed a problem using sodium bicarb to raise
my KH from a bit less than 2 to about 5 degrees but you
might appreciate the calcium from calcium carbonate. In
powdered form it will make the aquarium water appear milky
for a few hours or maybe even awhole day, depending on the
starting pH.

If you are using potassium nitrate and potassium phosphate
as fertilizers, you probably have enough potassium from
those -- or the little more potassum sulfate that you you
might add in addition to those is not going to make a big
diff in terms of sodium.

Scott H.
--- Clint Brearley <clintbrearley at iprimus_com.au> wrote:

> Yep, get all my chems from pool shops, garden centres and
> supermarkets. You
> can also get calcium carbonate from your pharmacist.
>
> So does anyone have any ideas about the sodium "issue"?
>
> My other option is replacing the NaHCO3/K2SO4 with KHCO3.
>
> Clint
>
> > From: David Aiken <daiken at iprimus_com.au>
> > CaCL2 = Calcium Chloride
> > MgSO4 = Magnesium Sulphate, probably  he's using Epsom
> Salts here as
> > that's the commonly available form.
> > NaHCO3 = Sodium Bicarbonate, or baking soda in the
> common form.
> > K2SO4 = Potassium Sulphate or potash
> > CaCO3 = Calcium Carbonate, or chalk
> >
> > I think Calcium Chloride is available from shops
> selling supplies for
> > swimming pools. Epsom salts and baking soda are
> commonly available
> > at  your local supermarket and potash is available from
> garden stores
> > in the fertiliser area. I don't know of a source for
> Calcium
> > carbonate but you could use powdered dolomite from
> health food
> > stores. As stated in Clint's post, it's not easy to
> dissolve and
> > that's true for dolomite too.
> >
> > Hope this helps and I didn't get anything wrong. I just
> tend to buy
> > stuff in bottles with the SeaChem label on it -
> probably the most
> > expensive way to do it but pouring liquids into the
> tank is just
> > soooooooooooooooooooo easy.
> >
> > David Aiken
> >

> > On 16/08/2005, at 8:28 AM, Nicolas Munro wrote:
> >
> >> I've been looking into non-CO2 but don't understand
> much about what
> >> your talking about,
> >>
> >> what are the products or common names for the stuff
> your adding?
> >>
> >> =Nick

 The deadline for submissions to the AGA Aquascaping contest is September 15. What are you waiting for?

Entries are only $5 and for that half a sawbuck you can have your AGA entry automatically entered in the ADA (Aqua Design Amano) contest for free, a savings in time and shipping costs!

Share the fun; show your work.
The AGA's 6th Annual International Aquascaping Contest is open.

Check it out at:
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org