Re: [APD] CaCO3 vs CaCl2/NaHCO3 in non-CO2 tank

You can get calcium carbonate from beer/winemaking web
vendors and from some hydronic sites and from Greg Watson's
store:

http://www.gregwatson.com/DryAquaticFertilizers.asp

Get real, get plants,
Scott H.

--- David Aiken <daiken at iprimus_com.au> wrote:

> CaCL2 = Calcium Chloride
> MgSO4 = Magnesium Sulphate, probably  he's using Epsom
> Salts here as
> that's the commonly available form.
> NaHCO3 = Sodium Bicarbonate, or baking soda in the common
> form.
> K2SO4 = Potassium Sulphate or potash
> CaCO3 = Calcium Carbonate, or chalk
>
> I think Calcium Chloride is available from shops selling
> supplies for
> swimming pools. Epsom salts and baking soda are commonly
> available
> at  your local supermarket and potash is available from
> garden stores
> in the fertiliser area. I don't know of a source for
> Calcium
> carbonate but you could use powdered dolomite from health
> food
> stores. As stated in Clint's post, it's not easy to
> dissolve and
> that's true for dolomite too.
>
> Hope this helps and I didn't get anything wrong. I just
> tend to buy
> stuff in bottles with the SeaChem label on it - probably
> the most
> expensive way to do it but pouring liquids into the tank
> is just
> soooooooooooooooooooo easy.
>
> David Aiken
>

> On 16/08/2005, at 8:28 AM, Nicolas Munro wrote:
>
> > I've been looking into non-CO2 but don't understand
> much about what
> > your talking about,
> >
> > what are the products or common names for the stuff
> your adding?
> >
> > =Nick
> >
> > Clint Brearley wrote:
> >

> >> I have an 50g non-CO2 tank to which I add each week
> ~5ppm GH (as
> >> CaCl2 and MgSO4) and 1/2 tsp NaHCO3 to maintain the GH
> ~120-150ppm
> >> and KH 50-70ppm (also adding a bit of K2SO4 and some
> traces).
> >> Since I'm not doing any water changes, should I be
> concerned about
> >> sodium accumulation (the fact that my discus are still
> breeding
> >> indicates 'probably not'). I'm considering perhaps
> switching to
> >> CaCO3, although I've always been hesitant to use it in
> the past
> >> because CaCl2 and NaHCO3 are so much more soluble and
> easier to
> >> work with. But I've only been running non-CO2 for 3
> months and
> >> previously I was running CO2 and doing 50% w/c 1-2x
> per week so
> >> wasn't really worried about accumulation at all. So
> should I be
> >> worried now?
> >>
> >> Clint

A little over 1 month to go. The deadline for submissions to the AGA Aquascaping contest is September 15. What are you waiting for?

Entries are only $5 and for that half a sawbuck you can have your AGA entry automatically entered in the ADA (Aqua Design Amano) contest for free, a savings in time and shipping costs!

Share the fun; show your work.
The AGA's 6th Annual International Aquascaping Contest is open.

Check it out at:
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org