Re: [APD] Re: Lights for new tanks

I've thrown big bits in my oven before. Didn't give much of an odour off and about 140degC if I remember correctly it be came soft like bread, at about I think 160degC it started getting bubbles and at 200degC+ it was starting to give off big bubbles and a bit of smoke every now and then, I couldn't get it to turn into a liquid which at the time was my goal.

My conclusion was just heat it till it gets soft then grab it out with you oven mits folded over a couple of times and hold over the shape ya want (feels like a big bit of bread) and then hold whilst it cools for 5 or so minutes. Adding water seamed ok didn't break the bits I was using.

Someone told me if you get thinner bits they bend at lower temps!

=Nick

S. Hieber wrote:

Acrylic doesn't have to get very hot to become bendable. A
hairdryer won't do it but a heat gun will.

If you use a flame, the tick is to apply enough heat to
reach the point where the plastic will bend without
surpassing that point and cause the acrylic to start to
form unsightly bubbles.

Fun stuff to work with.

Good luck,
Scott H.
--- Nicolas Munro <nmunro at qld_yokogawa.com.au> wrote:

I have seen people (recently) use a saw to cut half the
thickness of the plastic and then use a heat gun to bend it. Apparently
they use the saw to make a fold line.

A little over 1 month to go. The deadline for submissions to the AGA Aquascaping contest is September 15. What are you waiting for?

Entries are only $5 and for that half a sawbuck you can have your AGA entry automatically entered in the ADA (Aqua Design Amano) contest for free, a savings in time and shipping costs!

Share the fun; show your work.
The AGA's 6th Annual International Aquascaping Contest is open.

Check it out at: http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org