Re: [APD] Phosphates too much? any alternative answers to reducin g the problem.

This might be relevent to your issue:

Chloramine is a very stable compound, at least until it
meets up with digestive juices in the stomach or, in an
aquarium, certain aquarium addititives that split the
compound into it's components.

Some of the additives that "break the chloramine" bond
leave chlorine and ammonia in the water -- thanks a lot
overhyped additive. But SeaChem's Prime breaks the bond and
then, besides binding or rendering harmless other chemicals
in the water, binds the ammonia in a form that the plants
can still use but that won't hurt the fish and isn't
readily available to algae.

get real, get live plants,
sh

--- Nicolas Munro <nmunro at qld_yokogawa.com.au> wrote:

> What was that about Chloramine?  does it feed algae?
>
> Ammonia is 0 for tap water, my tank usually sits about
> 1ppm ammonia to
> 10ppm depending how much I've been feeding the fish and
> how good my
> vacuuming skills are on the day.
>
> I'm starting to wonder if Phosphate does actually harm
> the fish cause
> when my phosphates are up my fish start to get fin-rot
> disease.
>
> =Nick
>
> Vaughn Hopkins wrote:
>
> > Nick,
> > Phosphate is a beneficial chemical, an essential
> fertilizer for
> > plants.  Tom Barr has reported that even high levels of
> phosphate
> > don't do harm to plants or fish, nor cause algae.  Are
> you using plant
> > sticks or similar substrate fertilizers?  If so, that
> could be a
> > source of the phosphate increase you seem to have, plus
> it could be
> > adding NH4 to the water column, and that will cause an
> algae problem.
> > Or, you could be adding NH4 by changing water, if your
> water has
> > Chloramine instead of chlorine in it, and again that
> could be feeding
> > the algae.
> >
> > Vaughn H.
> >
> > On Wednesday, August 10, 2005, at 08:18 PM, Nicolas
> Munro wrote:
> >
> >> Is there a more naturally occurring product I can add
> to my substrate?
> >>
> >> kinda like peat or carbon?

> test kit went to
> stated. I now
> fluid bed
> really stunted
> get the light
> high) nitrate
> other vendors

A little over 1 month to go. The deadline for submissions to the AGA Aquascaping contest is September 15. What are you waiting for?

Entries are only $5 and for that half a sawbuck you can have your AGA entry automatically entered in the ADA (Aqua Design Amano) contest for free, a savings in time and shipping costs!

Share the fun; show your work.
The AGA's 6th Annual International Aquascaping Contest is open.

Check it out at:
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org