Re: [APD] aquarium as seismometer

Liz, I live in California, land of eternal earthquakes. But, the only quake I have experienced while having a tank set up was many years ago in San Jose. The 40 gallon tank was on one of those iron stands sitting at 90 degrees to the wall, with both sides visible. When the room started shaking I jumped up and tried to hold on to the tank to make sure it didn't topple, but all I could do was sway with it. The water sloshed around a lot, but it stopped before the tank could fall over. All it did was scare me half to death. When we had the Loma Prieta quake, in 1989, I think, the one that did so much major damage in the Bay Area, I didn't have a tank set up. My swimming pool sloshed water out, and if I had had a tank, it would have fallen over for sure. All of that to say, a major quake will almost certainly cause an aquarium to fall over. But, major quakes are pretty rare, even here.

Vaughn H.