[APD] Re: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 23, Issue 26

From: Scott Scheibe <dsscheibe at earthlink_net>
Subject: [APD] Play sand
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com

        I've been wanting to replace the large gravel in my biggest tank
and read a while back that play sand was a good plant base.
SNIP
        The tank is setup, has a bunch of swordtails, few corries, ottos,
and pleco, and a couple clown loaches who spend most of their time in the
hollow of the drift wood.  I'm sure the corries and pleco will like the
change from gravel to sand.  I've had trouble with the Pleco digging the
sand out of planters to hid in..

You have to add Kuhli loaches. They love to burrow in fine sand ;-) The Pleco will be a bull dozer in sand.

SNIP
        Any advice on replacing existing gravel with sand and any cautions
I should be aware of?  I expect the plants, corries and pleco will do
better.  The current gravel has such large spaces between them the
swordtail fry hid in it..  Needless to say this is a major trap for food
and debris.

D. Scott Scheibe <mailto:dsscheibe at earthlink_net> <http://home.earthlink.net/~dsscheibe/>

On the other hand you may find that the fine sand compacts too much unless you have a load of MTS.

Bob

Message: 11