Re: [APD] If it's good for street light...

Non filament electrodes can be had -- I think GE is making
them. The cost doesn't necessarily offset the saving in
bulb life. They still rely on an arc passing through the
plasma.  Without the arc, (using an external elecromagnetic
field) the electricity to generate the UV photons in the
gas is rather terriffic -- a lot of the mag field cannot be
aimed at the bulb. Iirc, this isn't especially energy
efficient.

sh

--- Mariano Fernández Bonfante
<mariano_bonfante at hotmail_com> wrote:

> Once I read about special lights that have 100.000 light
> hours. Basically
> they are fluorescent lamps, but they are excited with a
> high frequency
> electromagnetic field rather than an electric current
> passing through
> electrodes at the lamp end. The last ones define the lamp
> life in
> fluorescent lightning so avoiding them extend the duty
> life in great amount.
>
> Mariano
>

> >From: "S. Hieber" <shieber at yahoo_com>
> >To: James H <spreerider at gmail_com>,        aquatic
> plants digest
> ><aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
> >Subject: Re: [APD] If it's good for street light...
> >Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 12:51:22 -0700 (PDT)
> >
> >Not to pick too many nits in all the things you rightly
> >point out, but I think it worth mentioning that the
> process
> >for the super bright LEDs, while relying on fluorescence
> >isn't quite the same process in the glass bulbs. With
> the
> >bulbs, the gas, which includes vaporized mercury,
> becomes a
> >plasma when heated and that emits UV photons that cause
> the
> >phosphors to fluoresce. With the LEDS, there is no
> plasma
> >-- it's a solid state affair. It's a diff that doesn't
> >matter to most on APD, I would guess, but one that I
> find
> >terribly interesting. The incandescent is such a crude
> >device compared to the arc lights (fluorescents, MH,
> etc)
> >and LEDs. But hey make great heaters. ;-)
> >
> >sh
> >
> >--- James H <spreerider at gmail_com> wrote:
> >
> > > super bright leds are also less efficient than
> flourecent
> > > lights, they
> > > work off the exact same principles but produce less
> light
> > > per watt.
> > > sodium lamps are alot more efficient than flourecent
> so
> > > would use alot
> > > less power than a led version and i dont believe that
> > > these leds are
> > > putting out the same ammount of light as a 400w
> sodium
> > > lamp, probalby
> > > only putting out like 200w at most, or else you would
> > > need alot of
> > > leds, but i could be wrong with that, new technology
> and
> > > all.
> > > btw i design and manufacture led lights for
> underwater
> > > use with
> > > cameras (my favorite are the uv cameras and uv
> lights, i
> > > make a
> > > invisible spot light)
> > > James

Plants and DVDs for sale at the AGA table at the ACA 2005 Annual Convention, Fort Worth, Texas on July 21-24, 2005.
ACA Convention Details at

http://www.aca2005.org/