Re: [APD] Re: Looking for SAEs..

> Arizona Aquatic Gardens has them.

Managed to talk my LFS into getting some of these. They do seem to be
the real thing! Thanks for the pointers!

Does anyone know if AAG (or anyone) breeds these? And if not, how do
they identify them? They seem to be pretty hard to identify when small
(except, maybe, they do seem to graze a lot, more than their
"cousins", which may be the best indicator).

Speaking of IDing them...

The ones I've had in the past had one pair of barbels. This
characteristic is useful because the other imposters have either 2
pair, or none at all. At least, that has been my experience and was
based on http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/

However, going over to http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/cyprinid.html,
I see that the same classic Frank/Sarakontu article has been "updated"
to say SAEs have "2 pairs", with the comment:

>  1/2005: Added correction for number of barbels (2 pairs for SAE) -
>  EO. Also note that the row starting with "light stripe above"
>  reflects the correct data, which was misprinted in TAG.

Is this right? It doesn't match my experience, though looking at the
fish I have now, the barbels are pretty hard to see. I can't even say
for certain the smaller ones have them, much less how many.

What sayeth others that have The Real Thing?

Thomas