-----Original Message-----
From: aquatic-plants-bounces at actwin_com
[mailto:aquatic-plants-bounces at actwin_com] On Behalf Of Derek Parr
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 7:03 PM
To: aquatic plants digest
Subject: Re: [APD] paintball CO2 for a mini tank

Berne Kairunas wrote:
> My big concern about using paintball cylanders for plant tank
> injection is they use a light machine oil in that co2 mix to keep
> your 'marker' (gun if you will) lubed during operation.  I would worry

> about this oil being passed onto the aquarium and causing us all kinds

> of grief.
>
> Im not trying to say that it cant be done - i'm sure a quality bubble
> counter would filter this small ammount of oil outa the system.
>
> i dont have any hard data to back this up, Just my $0.02 USD.

interesting point.
But, I've been using this for 6 months now and have not noticed any
petroleum film or anything... nor any unexpected fish kills.  Plants
grow well..
But here is a theory on why this may not be a problem for my tank.
First of all is the fact that the tank takes about 5 months to empty.
Also, I presume that perhaps the plantlife and/or bacterial life breaks
down what little oil is there?  It wouldn't have to do much..  not over
that long of a time and on so little oil that it can't be seen.

Does that make since?

As for the bubble counter...   This project had 2 goals for me.  One is
the price ($60-$70).  Much less than a larger system.  And the fact it
was/is the perfect size for my 5 gallon.  Adding extra gear increases
the over all size of the system much more than it would if you were
adding the same gear to a larger 5lb or bigger system.  I don't want it
to dwarf the tank.

thanks again for the input.  Certainly worth adding it to the article.
-derek

    derek parr                          http://www.derekparr.com
    101-B eastwood lake road                artist at derekparr_com
    chapel hill, NC  27514                          919.444.9003