Re: [APD] Re: SAE's

Yep, Kyle, this is international trade with all kinds of stuff coming from overseas with illegally procured ramin wood components.  It's a nightmare.  It started one day when my boss came to me and said "I need a list of all the endangered trees in the world by the end of the day."  It was after 1 pm.  And it just snowballed.  I am not a lawyer or a botanist.  I'm an archaeologist, historian, and literary critic by training who needed a *job* and became a researcher for a consumer product test lab.  Geez.

Holly

Kyle Williams <amomum1 at yahoo_com> wrote:

Actually I'm a botanist myself so I deal with plants much more than animals. But the idea is still the same for plants. Artificially propagated appendix 1 plants can be traded under the rules of Appendix 2. One of my friends does a huge amount of trade in Cycads (all perfectly legal) so I know more about this than I ever wanted to know! But unless you are trading Orchids, Cycads, succulents, or certain carnivorous plants internationally CITES usually isn't an issue anyway.

-Kyle