Re: [APD] Re: Looking for SAEs..

Very true!  In my world, we don't deal with captive-bred anything nor do we deal with animals very often.  Our issues are mainly with illegally-harvested plants.  Thanks for adding some information to help people on the list, Kyle.

Holly

Kyle Williams <amomum1 at yahoo_com> wrote:

That isn't quite accurate about Appendix 1. Appendix 1 is definitely the most restrictive listing for CITES and it does essentially ban people from exporting wild caught fish (or other animals or plants) except for scientific purposes. But Appendix 1 does allow for commercial trade of species on that list if they are captively bred. Those individuals are then treated as though they are Appendix 2.

For those interested in fishes you don't have to worry too much about Appendix 1 anyway as only a handful of species are on it. Here is where you can find the official list: http://www.cites.org/eng/app/appendices.shtml

You have to scroll down past the mammals, birds, and reptiles until you reach the fish. The left hand column is Appendix 1, the middle is Appendix 2, and the right is Appendix 3. Again, only species in Appendix 1 that are not being captive bred are effectively impossible to import. Everything else can be done if you try hard enough.

Sorry to those of you reading this on the website, but I can't get my email to wrap properly there (everywhere else in cyberspace it is just fine).

-Kyle