Re: [APD] Re: Attacking Otos

Ah yep. The lesson is that otos are not the smartest fish
in the tank, even if they are the only fish in the tank ;-)
It would be a tough call between an E. Bleheri and an Oto.

Otoh, they are cute and no more aggressive than a your
average clothespin. Fwiw, I think Clint is right about the
basic charactier of their behavior. However, if they are
attracted to the slime coat -- and hey, what suckermouth
wouldn't be at feeding time -- it's something from which
they are easily distracted and for which they have
virtually no insistance.

Now, the Gyrinocheilus aymonieri, while probably not better
at problem solving skills than otos, are much more likely
to develop an aggressively one-track mind about the
inherent delectability of fish mucous. Or, if you aren't
partial to anthropomorphic descriptions, let's just say the
G. aymonieri have a more focused disposistion, when mature,
to finding and feeding on fresh slime coats.

Scott H.

--- Clint Brearley <clintbrearley at iprimus_com.au> wrote:

> > Sometimes when I'm feeding my fish I see an Oto come up
> and start  sucking
> > on
> > the side of one of my Discus. The Discus just shakes
> the Oto off and  they
> > both go about their business.
> >
> > Has anybody else had this experience, why does it
> happen and is it
> > anything
> > to worry about?
> >
> > Bill
>
> My ottos do the same thing all the time.
>
> I doubt they're targeting the discus slime coat. They're
> such active little
> buggers swimming all over the tank and sucking on every
> other available
> surface. Discus have such a large body surface area it's
> not suprising that
> the ottos occasionally end up attaching to it. I've seen
> them land on the
> head of one of my SAEs too. That doesn't happen very
> often ;-)
>
> Don't think it's anything to worry about. My discus and
> ottos have been
> living happily together for 15 months now.
>
> Cheers
> Clint
>

> --

The AGA's Sixth Annual International Aquascaping Contest is open!

Enter more than once. Enter entirely electronically!

So, get some fresh alkalines for the camera, clean the glass front, back and sides, remove the filter tubes and burping clam, and start snapping the shutter.

Not ready for picture taking yet? There's still plenty of time for planning, planting, pruning before the Septbember 15, 2005, closing date for entries.

All the info is here:

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org