Re: [APD] diatomite

The silicates are present in the natural deposits but they
can also be added as filler. How much is in the mix depends
on where the material was mind and how it was treated. I
know of one company that makes about 15 different grades of
diatom powder.

It shouldn't pose any problems. At worst, it might mean
that the powder doesn't have as high a percentage of nice
diatoms to do the excellent filtering as some other
products might. In which case, you could probably
compensate by using a little more powder in the filter.

If you try it and it doesn't seem to filter adequately, you
can try this stuff:

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Pumps-and-Filters/Pump-and-Filter-Accessories/Diatomaceous-Earth/

It works great. I've used it in both Vortex and System One
diatom filters. And it costs tons less money than the
"special" stuff.

Good luck,
Scott H.
--- Billionzz at aol_com wrote:

> I have a vortex filter and I've used up a box of " Diatom
> Filter  Powder "
> that I bought with the filter.
>
> I went to the pool supply and bought a 25 lb bag of
> "diatomite" to use but
> when I got home I read the label and found that the
> ingredients are
> diatomaceous  earth and silica.
>
> Is this the right stuff to use or is diatomaceous earth
> available by itself
> or is the silica always in there from when they mine it?
>
> Bill

The AGA's Sixth Annual International Aquascaping Contest is open!

Enter more than once. Enter entirely electronically!

So, get some fresh alkalines for the camera, clean the glass front, back and sides, remove the filter tubes and burping clam, and start snapping the shutter.

Not ready for picture taking yet? There's still plenty of time for planning, planting, pruning before the Septbember 15, 2005, closing date for entries.

All the info is here:

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org