[APD] Re: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 21, Issue 33

Dave, see about getting a permit for snail eaters for control.
Birds, outlets to adjcent streams etc will make a difference there.
Some agencies allow things like this with minimized risk in place.
You might consider slug control chemicals.

I think the chances of reinfestations are very high.
You are looking at a long term project here.
Bio control will not eradicate but should do well for pest control.

That with lime dipping might do the trick.
electric current is what I am using for destruction of Hydrill a tubers in the sediment.
I think it will fry plants also.

Here is a very good idea: max the CO2 to like 100ppm or higher.
This will kill many inverts/fish etc but not hurt plants.

A slug dose of NH4, say ammonium chloride/sulfate etc might also be toxic enough to kill the vermin and not hurt plants.

Salt dips also possible(think what happens to slugs when you put salt on them).
But some plants do not respond well to some treatments.

Emersed growth is another.
Anti slug/snail sprays might work well.
You can remove the plants from the water, spray and  leave it a moist place for a few hours and then rinse and return. Plants that can handle emergent growth can be left that way.

Seeing which works best with each plant species will be useful also.
This should reduce the hand picking needed.

You can also place the weeds in a holding tanks/pen indoors/covered etc full of Botia etc for a day or two and then remove the weeds and ship after they are snail free.

Regards,
Tom Barr