Re: [APD] Diatom carbon

The Vortex stuff has diatoms mixed in, doesn't it?

The grinding should give you more surface area, at least,
untils it packs up on the media holder and loads with
"stuff" from the tank water.

Grinding your own? I have two questions:

Isn't it kind of messy?

How did the coffee taste afterwards?

Have filters, have fun,
Scott H.

--- "Richard J. Sexton" <richard at aquaria_net> wrote:
> My diatom filter came with the (very) finely powdered
> carbon
> that I use from time to time. I'm out.
>
> I threw some GAC in a coffee grinder and ground it up. It
> worked
> great; I can't say it's quite as fine as the Vortex stuff
> but it
> does do the trick till I can order more of the right
> stuff. Or
> I may not now.
>

> --
>
>  /"\                         / http://lists.aquaria.net
>  \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN / Killies, Crypts,
> Aponogetons
>   X   AGAINST HTML MAIL    / http://new.killi.net
>  / \  AND POSTINGS        / http://images.aquaria.net

The American Cichlid Association Annual Convention
Just the biggest aquarium hobby convention of the year (would Texas have it any other way?)
Ft. Worth, Texas July 21-24   http://www.aca2005.org/