[APD] Planted Tank as Rift Lake Refugium

  I'm going to be setting up a 45 gal African Rift Lake tank, and was thinking
of having a 15 or 20 gal planted refugium/sump to filter it.  I was inspired
partly by the discussion this past week about the LFS, as well as the shape
and design of the desk I'll be putting the tank on.

  My question is about the high pH and hardness of the tank.  My tap water is
already pretty hard, and I'll be having a few 'shell islands' for the fish to
hide in.
  Will there be any special requirements for the plants?  I'm planning on
using mostly 'nutrient pigs' - Hydro. polysperma, an Amazon sword, and
probably a few floating types like Frogbit and Pennywart.  Should I let the
system run w. the plants for a week or so, before introducing the fish?  Will
the higher pH make a difference with the type of N in the system?  Should I
use some sort of chemical filtration in conjunction with the plants?  This set-
up is mainly for the FISH tank... don't worry, I've got two tanks in the
living room that are planted show-tanks.  ;)

Thanks for the advice.

JM