Re: [APD] Calcium Carbonate and GH

CaCo3 just does not like to dissolve in water. And above a
certain pH, something past 8, it won't dissolve at all but
will preciptate.  Even with CO2, it dissolves slowly.

So it might be down in the gravel????
How are you adding it?

sh
--- Spencer Rozell <srozell at shaw_ca> wrote:
> I understood that GH is a measurement of Ca and Mg in the
> water.
>
> I've been trying to drive the GH up in a tank with some
> swordtails, in
> which I have also noticed a Calcium deficiency in
> Hygrophilia corymbosa
> (new leaves were starting to show signs of deformity).
>
> I assumed I could kill two birds with one stone by dosing
> Calcium
> Carbonate, but I haven't noticed an increase of GH
> (testing with a Hagen
> Test kit) though I have been adding 1/2 tsp of CaCO3
> every day.
>
> The tank in question does not have CO2 dosing, which I
> understand helps
> dissolve the CaCO3, but shouldn't there be at least SOME
> shift in the
> GH?
>
> Spencer

The American Cichlid Association Annual Convention
Just the biggest aquarium hobby convention of the year (would Texas have it any other way?)
Ft. Worth, Texas July 21-24   http://www.aca2005.org/