[APD] Calcium Carbonate and GH

I understood that GH is a measurement of Ca and Mg in the water.

I've been trying to drive the GH up in a tank with some swordtails, in
which I have also noticed a Calcium deficiency in Hygrophilia corymbosa
(new leaves were starting to show signs of deformity).

I assumed I could kill two birds with one stone by dosing Calcium
Carbonate, but I haven't noticed an increase of GH (testing with a Hagen
Test kit) though I have been adding 1/2 tsp of CaCO3 every day.

The tank in question does not have CO2 dosing, which I understand helps
dissolve the CaCO3, but shouldn't there be at least SOME shift in the
GH?

Spencer