Re: [APD] GE 45W screw in compact fluorescent.

>--- "Richard J. Sexton" <richard at aquaria_net> wrote:
>> And they are BRIGHT. They have roughly the same luminous
>> output as
>> a 40 T12 tube, just in a different package.
>
>Well, given that a good portion of the sprial tube's light
>is "wasted" shining on the spiral itself, it's probably not
>as bright as a 40 watt straight tube on a similar ballast.
>It is one of the problems with fitting a fluorescent bulb
>in an incadescent fixture; it chews up the efficiency.

That's true, but, the light from a 40W T12 tube is spread over
four feet. The 45W CF bulbs spite out the same number of lumens
but over 3". Say half of it is lost, that's still a greater
luminous flux albeit in a smaller area, than you get from a 4' tube.

>But those spiral flos are getting higher wattage all the
>time, aren't they. I remember when a 18 watt was a rare
>find and when finding anything over 28 watts was like
>finding an honest game at a parkinglot carnival.
>
>The amazing thing is that the electronic ballast is
>included in the bulb (and included in the price of the
>bulb) and is definitely a disposable item. Consider that
>the next time someone suggest you pay $160 for an
>electronic fluorescent ballast. :-) Some of these
>inexpensive electronic ballasts re even dimmable and can
>fit in the palm of your hand -- although what you would do
>with a ballast in the palm of your hand, I have no idea.
>;-)

No kiddning.

I have one of the dummable ones, and they're not really dimmable
in the nice linear manner incandescent bulbs are, it's more
like "off, low, high".

--

  X   AGAINST HTML MAIL    / http://new.killi.net
 / \  AND POSTINGS        / http://images.aquaria.net