Re: [APD] Green water in non-co2 tank

I don't know how direct the sunlight is but sunlight can be
many times more light than we would ever put on our aquaria
with electrical means.

Without pretending to be too precise, in the tropics, I
think direct sunlight equates to about 100 watts per sq
foot of energy, depending on angle, time of day, weather,
etc -- much of it heat -- but it's a lot of light. A 55
watt pc over a 2 foot long by 6" wide aquarium
(front-to-back) equates to less 30 watts per sqaure foot of
energy (mostly heat) and than 19 watts per square foot of
light. Most aquaria are probably larger than this and the
lighting level from electric bulbs proportionately less.

If you've got a dosing and maintenance routine that
generally doesn't present green water, that's great, but if
the problem seems to be chronic, well, a little sunlight
goes a long way, especially with no added CO2. So, this
could be a situation where regular use of a UV lamp on the
water line can be useful. It's murder on green water.

Of course, in any event, you want to be sure that nutrient
levels are in good order.

Scott H.
--- drajitathale <drajitathale at hclinfinet_com> wrote:
> What measures are recommended to combat green water in a
> 25 gallon  nonc02
> non-fertilised tank basking
> in sunlight in tropics?
>
> The points I could think of were as follows :
> 1. Water change followed by 3days of complete blackout
>
> 2. Adding phosphate.
>
> Will Tom and others elaborate
>
> ajit athale
> India.

The American Cichlid Association Annual Convention
Just the biggest aquarium hobby convention of the year (would Texas have it any other way?)
Ft. Worth, Texas July 21-24   http://www.aca2005.org/