[APD] Re: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 20, Issue 29

"From: Sam Zaydel <szaydel at pacbell_net>
Subject: [APD] Ideal water conditions for Amazon Swords
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com

It seems everybody has different water parameters, and
different quantities of chemicals to supply necessary
nutrients to their plants. I was wondering if somebody
could give me a good idea as to the quality of the
water people had success with. I am most curious about
the temperature, the substrate, GH, KH, Phosphate,
other dissolved minerals. Also, if anybody had any
success with water conditioners like Equilibrium,
which supposedly sets any water to proper balance of
everything to support plant growth, (I find it hard to
believe).

Thanks everybody,
Sam."

Aquatic plants do not need a target nor a discrete number for optimal growth, rather, a range, and this range is very wide for many Aquatic plants.

Others have more more narrow ranges but all do well in richer nutrient conditions rather than leaner in terms of growth rate.

I honestly do not know what the upper ranges are but they begin to get into fish health problems long before plant issues and they levels required need to be so high in concentration it's unlikely anyone will add that much without doing so on purpose.

CO2 and NH4 are the two exceptions.
NH4=> keep low as possible through good plant growth/health
CO2=> Keep it stable , either through enrichment or through no water changes if you use non CO2 methods.

Swords love rock hard water, 24 degree GH should be as hard as anyone's.
Big weed.

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com