[APD] Re: excess

>>TB: "Which begs the question: what are excesses?"

>The flip side of that is: Once there is 'enough' why does 'more' do any good?

>TW

Simple, it's a much easier "target to hit" than "just enough" and riding the precipitious edge of a nutrient deficiency. It also mean you have longer periods in between dosing before you drop below a critical level so there are always non limiting conditions.

I do not need to know information (that is often not available) to cure algae issues and plant health issues(they are often much the same thing=> healthy

If we add more, it's fine.
Fert's are cheap.

I'm not suggesting adding a great deal more, but a good buffer to prevent any chance of deficiency.

Why micromanage and tweak when you simply do not have to nor gain much from it? Which is an easier routine?
Some folks work better doing daily things and tweaking, some could not give a hoot. Habits play a role here more than the routine. This excess dosing routine also applies to non CO2 planted tanks as well as CO2 enriched systems.

But you do not need to dose high levels, but they also have not shown to cause issues in terms of algae or poor plant health/growth rates. Adding high PO4 also addresses green spot algae, most folks really don't like that. Adding high CO2 addresses BBA issues as well as many other species. Adding higher NO3 addresses BGA. Adding excess levels of traces brings out deeper colors and sheen to many species.

There is "enough" CO2 in non CO2 tanks to grow plant wells, so why add more?
There is "enough" light with 2w/gal, so why add more?
There is enough KH at one degree, why add more?
There is enough Ca and MG at 1 degree GH, why add more?

I addressed your question, now it's your turn to answer mine.
What are excesses? When does it become excessive?

Regards,
Tom Barr