RE: [APD] re water changes

Nick's hitting the nailhead.

If NO3 is steadily accumulating, then water changes or
lesser doses of NO3, or a combination of the two, can
result in desireable levels and avoidance of excesses. With
lots of plants, including "fast-growers" and few fish,
dosing might be useful even if you are not doing frequent
water changes or adding CO2 and have only moderate amounts
of lighting.

Either watching the plants or testing are pretty much the
only ways to know how things are working out, but you can
adjust the dosing to suit your particular tank and hobby
habits.

With dirt under the gravel, you might skip dosing
altogether but these tanks sometimes tend to give way to a
single dominant plant or two and can be messy if you like
to rearrange/transplant.

As said on APD recently fish food/poop can be an adequate
source for NO3 but might even have adequate PO4, depending
on the food. Adding traces is usually a good idea.

The less often you do water changes, the more carfeul you
must be about dosing and feeding. The big advantage of
waterchanges is that one can use the water changes to
easily ensure against excesses.

sh

. . . I started adding KN03, but after