Re: [APD] Re: dirt and the No CO2 tank

Mixing and matching methids can lead to trouble sometimes
but I've had tanks without added CO2 with 50% weekly water
changes and added ferts and traces and need, oh, maybe
twice a year cleanings of the glass for dust algae. This
six-of-one-half-dozen-of-the-other "method" won't work for
everyone any more than any other "method" will work well
for everyone. Ther are so many factors involved. But it's
not hard to find somehting that works well and jsut about
any of the various methods can work well if you are
diligient about them and ensure that you have enough
nutrients.

Dirt is another way to add nutrients and fish food yet
another. I would cringe at the thought that anyone said
that one ought to use one method rather than another or
that one method is *better* than another -- so much depends
on personal work habits and preferences and goals, etc.

Kasselmann menitoned that loam tanks poop out, so to speak,
after about a year. Dirt tanks can be a pain if you like to
aquascape and have a variety of plants in one tank and
don't want on plant taking over and don't want your
aquascape to look like a holding tank for potted plants.
But aquascaping tends to be higher maintenance in general
anyway.

Try what interests you and see what works best for you. You
might find you like several diff methods. Experiment a bit
with smaller tanks if you have the time and the notion.
Afterall, it's not a TV, it's a hobby :-)

Have plants, have fun,
Scott H.