[APD] why doesn't algae grow?

Last night I got hit with a question I couldn't answer: why doesn't algae
grow in my tanks. I had a brief problem with algae -- some hair and BBA.
Hair algae cleared up when I dosed more and BBA was suddenly not in the tank
one day about a month after increasing the CO2 content slightly. It hasn't
come back. I credit Tom Barr with both the plant growth and lack of algae.
 What made the question tough to answer is that the answer to the question
is clearly not "good plant growth". Yes, there is good plant growth, but
given that there are sufficient nutrients, light, CO2, etc. then why is
there also nice algae growth? What is it that is stopping the algae from
growing? Is allelopathy at work? Or is there something about the conditions
that give rise to good plant growth that make for a hostile environment for
algae? And if so, what doesn't the algae like?
--
Liz

"This employee is depriving a village somewhere of an idiot."