Re: [APD] Re: Duckweed

I have 6 New Guinea red rainbows. Today I added duckweed to their tank. The big cow of a female (biggest of
the six; I'm guessing it's a female) was grazing steadily on it soon. None of the others seemed to pay it any
attention.

It looks like 2 of the six are males, judging by their color. One of them is really bossy. It is continually driving
the other colorful one away. I have the impression that he doesn't like competition. Is that normal for
rainbows? I am concerned that it will stress the other one out. I thought they would all school together.

Do you rainbow experts have any advice or info you can share? :-)

Cheers,

Laura Garcia
Redmond, WA

Bruce Hansen wrote:

G'day Mike

Generally I have found that most of the larger species of Australian (and PNG) rainbowfishes will include duckweed in their diet and keep it under control in planted tanks.

Cheers

Bruce (Hansen)

ANGFA (Qld) Inc - http://www.angfaqld.org.au/

Message: 1 Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:06:11 -0500 From: Bill Wells <wwells1 at concentric_net> Subject: Re: [APD] This Pesky Duckweed To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>

Mike Smith wrote:

Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone knows of a fish that loves to eat duckweed. I have a horrible infestation of the stuff and as a result of my laziness, it sometimes gets so thick that it nearly blocks all light from my other plants.

Thanks,

Mike

Goldfish love to eat duckweed.

Later,