[APD] Splitting headache

I have a 29 gallon tank with a awesome Amazon sword plant that has grown in
their for about a year or so.  Right now that plant is the only thing you
see.  I don't want to start over with a new one but would like to share the
wonderful growth of this plant with some friends. Is it possible to split a
sword plant, like you would an anubias or any other plant that grows from a
tuber.  I know I will have to carefully take the plant out of the tank and
in doing so I will make a mess out of the tank and the plant itself.  But is
it possible?  Can I split it like a banana? and share with others? or is my
only hope to pull the leaves off individually and make the plant smaller
with a big root system.

TIA

Matt W