[APD] Re: dirt, moderate CO2, and moderate light

RH: "What "long term" problems are you reffering to? Perhaps it would be more helpfull for you to be more specific."

Just scrolling through the Walstad forum list of posts, if you stop and read about any thread with over a dozen or so posts, the subject is mostly about the substrate and how it is reacting. Here's a recent prime example:

http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/4686048124/m/2771066231

I read that one more carefully because I'm converting my 90 gallon to goldfish. "Long term" may be a misnomer on my part, but those dirt tanks do seem to be troublesome for a while after setup. And then they peter out and require fert supplementation. Doesn't look carefree to me.

RH: "Hydroponics has no concern for algae, and is definetly not cheap, so there is no comparison between a aquarium soil based method and hydroponics."

I wasn't comparing the soil based method to hydroponics. What I meant to say is that growing plants underwater is, in general, more comparable to hydroponics than to growing houseplants in dirt, if you leave out the dirt variable.

I'm not trying to start a fight, I was just commenting that Walstad's method isn't as carefree as it might seem because the definition of 'dirt' is not there yet. If out of all the discussion a workable composition emerges, then hooray. At present it seems to be experimental, and there's nothing wrong with that. We all like to play with mud. ;-)

TW