[APD] Brace (it) yourself

I have an old 50 gal tank somebody gave me. It's 4' long. I'd like
to put some braces in the top and ends to give it that oooh la la
eurostyle look. Ok it's really to make glass covers easier and safer.

Do I cut the lengths of glass to the exact width ? In that case how
do I get the silcone to stay there when I put the glass into place?

The middle seems obvious, the tank can be bowed a bit but only once;
when the brace is installed you don't want to be doing this again.

I plan to put 3 braces in the middle and one at each far end.

Anybody done this?

--

  X   AGAINST HTML MAIL    / http://killifish.vrx.net
 / \  AND POSTINGS        / http://www.vrx.net