RE: [APD] To pearl or not to pearl...

Hi Liz,

You wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 13:14:08 -0600, Douglas Guynn <d_guynn at sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>> I've been through this discussion before and no one could explain to me
>> where the gasses for super-saturation come from.
>
> Lots of places.  The water coming out of the tap is at a pressure
> higher than room pressure.  Outgassing can occur when the pressure
> drops because the solubility of the gas also drops.

So if I'm seeing bubble production dependant on plant species and the amount
of light, do you think that is an out-gassing event?

> Fill a 10 gallon, smooth sided container with water using the same
> method you use to fill your aquarium.  Drop a piece of rough wood in,
> keep the temperature the same as your aquarium and look to see if the
> wood gets bubbles on it.  That's outgassing.  If the wood doesn't get
> bubbles on it you can be pretty certain the bubbles are pearling.

Why a piece of rough wood? Why a smooth sided container?
Also, how can one be sure the bubbles on the wood are not gasses from within
the wood itself that have been displaced and driven out by the water?
--
Thanks,
Bob Zink