Re: [APD] Re: Gmail

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 10:42:30 -0800 (PST), S. Hieber <shieber at yahoo_com> wrote:
> So, it seems, the advantage of using the google mail is tha
> the recent APD stuff will be availble to the search engine.
>
> Hmmmm. . .

No.  Google mail threads imperfectly as do almost all email (and
archiving) programs.  Google mail is something close to a cross
between a normal email program and the Google search engine, with 1G
of space provided for email on Gmail's servers.  I've been using email
since the mid 80's with a wide variety of programs and platforms.  I
like some of Gmail's features but it took a little while to get used
to thinking a little differently.

Threading is currently being worked on, and Gmail's staff asks that
users send instances of threading issues to them.  One of the biggest
threading problems for everyone is the number of email programs that
do not send back sufficient information to make threading
straightforward.  This problem combined with constantly changing
subject lines make email threading, and list archive threading,
challenging.

Liz