[APD] Re: BGA Advice

OK...I realize this might not be the appropriate forum to ask this, but I'm going to anyhow with the caveat that yes, I do have planted, low-tech tanks.  However, hubby has a totally unplanted cichlid tank that is gorgeous; the only ornamentation is beautiful rocks and more beautiful rocks.  At least it was gorgeous until the BGA took over.  I've tried taking one stone out and giving it a 2-day hydrogen peroxide soaking (sorry, I don't speak chemistry), rinsing and returning it to the tank.  ZERO impact.  We're willing to try the blackout; we're willing to try the erythromycin route.  BUT, from what I've been reading in the past day or so, it will probably come back.

>From what I *think* Tom is saying here, we might be able to keep the BGA away with the addition of KNO3.  That's all well and good, but 1) what on earth is KNO3? and 2) where can we find it (without having the FBI come looking for us)?

I know this is way too simplistic for most of you APD people, but...thanks, anyhow :)

Fran

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 11:02:13 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
From: Thomas  Barr <tcbiii at earthlink_net>
Subject: [APD] Re: BGA advice
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com

Why doesn't ANYONE ever discuss why you have BGA and what keeps it away?
I guess I am the only one?

KNO3 KNO3, KNO3 and KNO3.

You can easily kill BGA with antibiotics or a Blackout. One's free, one is not.
Both take the same time to work. BGA is not laborious to remove either using blackout and neither are the antibiotics.

It's easy to keep away forever if you do regular mainteance and add KNO3.
This also applies to NON CO2 methods.

I recently did this 2x on separate non CO2 tanks.

Killing and removing algae is simple, prevention of it coming back is far more useful.........and less laborious
Algae killing is a hobby for some I suppose, most want to grow the plants.
Focus on the plants. Antibiotics are NOT plant nutrients.

Just start mentioning KNO3 when you suggest treatments.
Green spot algae suggest high PO4 levels etc...........
BBA=> CO2

You'll note each algae is related to an environmental issue that is related to plant health.
So algae are indicator "plants" as well.

Regards,
Tom Barr