Subject: [APD] Re: Open Tanks and CF Lighting

I have 8 X 40 T8 over a 5ft -100gal, about 10in above...
Cover glass gets dirty fast and cleaning them constantly is a pain (the less maintenance one has to do the better)
I like having plants grow out the tank, right now the hygrophilia(quite a interesting smell), bacopa and a sword are blooming. I have a couple of non-aquatic plants growing on the back of the tank with their roots in the tank.
Yes, you lose light by having the lights a foot off the tank, I went to 8 T8s instead of 6 and the tank is fine (I need a aquatic lawn mover)
From what I seen AH makes very efficient reflector and if it is not enough,
lower it or buy more!

Message: 9 Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 06:02:44 -0800 From: wcwirla at verizon_net Subject: [APD] Re: Open Tanks and CF Lighting To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com

I have this exact configuration - the AH Supply 1x55 kit over a 29
galo.  The fixture is mounted to a shop made hood with a hinged lid.
The light fixture is 2-3 inches above the surface of the water.  I used
to have 4x20 watt normal fluorescent in the same configuration.  No
problems so far.  The manufacturer recommends that a cover glass be
used.  Opinions went 50/50 when I posed the cover glass question on
several forums.  My only concern would be light intensity loss at 11
inches above the surface.