Re: [APD] Re:quotes, religion, etc

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 REDRAGON40 at aol_com wrote:

Also, I don't think religion or dating has a place as an ad on APD.  At the
end of Scheibe's message were ads for the Gospel Principles List, Plan of
Salvation through Book of Mormon, and then  an LSD singles list.

At the end of Wright Huntley's message is a quotation from Isabel Paterson,
whoever that is.  Why?  What does it have to do with aquatic plants?

Well, I think it's been a longstanding acceptable practice to include personal quotations or other things in one's signature, often with nothing to do with the particular subject. Years ago I used to include an elaborate indication of how far I had progressed on my doctoral disseration. Nowadays, some folks' messages have ads at the end placed by their ISP. Can't control it either. I think the expectation is to keep it brief, only a few lines.

I agree about all the top posting and over-quoting, though. It's very annoying for the poor few who get the list in digest mode, and clutters the archive. But you're probably fighting a losing battle when 90% of the world is using Outlook for their mail.

- Erik

--
Erik Olson
erik at thekrib dot com