Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:24:54 -0800
From: Vaughn Hopkins <hoppy1 at surewest_net>
Subject: Re: [APD] Microwaving water for water changes a bad thing?
To: aquatic plants digest <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>

I don't see any way microwaving water to heat it can possibly be
harmful to either fish or plants.  But, I do wonder if your under sink
filter really does remove chloramines.  I understand from what I have
read that it takes special filter cartridges, not usually used, to
remove the chloramine or the ammonia left over when it degrades.
Amquel is one of several substances  you can buy that are designed to
remove the ammonia, especially.  That is how I will handle water
changes when I set up my next tank.  The previous one I only changed
about 10% of the water at a time, so I got by doing nothing about
either the temperature of the replacement water or the chloramine.  For
the next one I plan on replacing a third of the water at a time, so I
will  have to take care of both.  I plan to use 5 gallon buckets to
store replacement water until it reaches room temperature, and Amquel
for the chloramine.

On Tuesday, February 22, 2005, at 05:48 PM, Derek Parr wrote:

> Here's a silly question.   I got lots. ;]
>
> When I make water changes, It comes straight from the tap after it
> goes through an under sink filter that takes out the chloramines.
> But its cold, particularly at this time of year.  I wonder if anyone
> is aware of any downsides to "nuking" it to get it to the temp of the
> tank water?
>
> I mean..   I eat stuff coming out that black box.....  but?
>
> well,  I've never heard of anyone doing this before so I have to
> wonder.
>
> and before someone says get a tub and a heater and wait...  I should
> say I got a small apartment, allready have one too many tanks and I
> don't wanna wait.  ;p
> Although I might end up doing that, using the microwave would simplify
> things.
>
> -derek
>

> --

------------------------------

Message: 9
my bad ..   i guess it only removes "chlorine" according to:
http://www.omni-water-filters.com/cartgac1.htm

but i havent had any troubles and i've made up to 70% water changes
several time on different tanks for over a year now.

-derek

--
    derek parr                          http://www.derekparr.com
    101-B eastwood lake road                artist at derekparr_com

--

End of Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 18, Issue 48