[APD] Problem with tank/regulator seal

I just exchanged the CO2 tank for my planted aquarium, and I am having a hard time getting a good seal between tank and regulator. The old tank had what looked like a black rubber or plastic washer that allowed the regulator to seal tightly. The new tank doesn't have that. Do I need to buy some sort of washer or o-ring?

It's a 1.5 hour round trip to the welding supply shop, so I'll be fairly grumpy if I need to make another trip.