Re: [APD] bio-Balls VS Bio-Wheels

Well, I think ya gotta say *which* planted tank you have in
mind because sometimes some of us fit a lot of fish into a
planted tank and the plants, even in jungles like mine,
don't always keep up with them. ;-) Although, I suspect
that plants adapt more quickly to increases in ammonia than
biofilms.

But as you note, one can set up planted tanks that need no
biofiltering above what occurs with the biofilm on the
substrate, glass, etc. I think in that situation one would
have a low fish load and dose nutrients to carefully manage
the input.

Scott H.
--- Rachel Sandage <rachelsor at hotmail_com> wrote:

> Scott H wrote:
>
> I'd be interested to see some good data on how much the
> balls or wheels do and wht's really needed to handle a
> given amount of ammonia or nitrite.
>

> Which brings us back to the same old question, are
> bioballs/biowheels necessary at all in a planted tank,
> given the plants' quick uptake of ammonia?
>
> rs

=====
Christel Kasselmann,
author of the best current authoritative text on aquatic plants
will be a featured speaker at
The Northeast Council of Aquarium Societies 30th Annual Convention.
March 18-20, 2005 at the Marriott Hotel, Farmington, CT