[APD] Re: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 18, Issue 39

Message: 3
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:20:00 -0500
From: "Saturnbabi" <saturnbabi at comcast_net>
Subject: [APD] Cloudy Water
To: <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>

Ok, so I was horribly lazy the other day and decided that instead of
carefully washing my fluorite gravel like I know I should I would just put
it in my new tank and use my python to clean it. So I added water, cleaned
the gravel (I can't believe how muddy and dirty it actually was) and
repeated this several times. When I thought I had done a decent job washing
it I filled the tank. It was slightly muddy looking, but I thought it would
be OK once I turned on the filter (fluval with carbon, peat and biomax).
The filter has now been running for 24 hours and it is so cloudy that I can
barely see the back of the tank (12 inches!). I also noticed while planting
some plants that every time I disturb the gravel I get a nice cloud in the
water. Any suggestions? Will time fix this or did my laziness curse me to
have to empty and reclean this gravel? I suppose someday I will learn....

LeeAnn

get some Acurel F at one of friendly neighborhood pet stores. Double dose and clean your filters every 8-12 hours. It is a black water based flocculent. You will see the tank clearing in hours with complete clearing overnight. Just keep the filters from plugging as they will

When I switched one tank from sand to fluorite I drained 40% of the water, cleaned half the bottom and set the end of the bag of fluorite on the bottom, split the end and let it slowly slide. out, double dosed with Acurel F, cleaned the filters every 4 hours and had a relatively clear tank by bed time, crystal clear by morning.

It works as a tempory fix for green water while you are getting the ferts and CO2 back in line too.

Bob