Re: [APD] Re: Needle Valve / Metering Valve for CO2

Maybe you posted while I was on vacation.

Anyway, I would want the ability to separately valve each
aqaurium since different set-ups have diff needs due to
diffs in tank size, filtration methods, lighting, etc. But
that's not a big issue for some folks that have similar
set-ups for several tanks.

Downstream from the where you changeover to low flow and
low pressure you can just array some cheap platic
air-tubing tees with a little adhesive or some wire ties to
secure against leaks and put valvels on those. That would
cost a couple bucks maybe plus the bigger expense for the
valves, which can also be cheap, moderate, or pricey.

You can get Clippard/Fabco quality valves on manifolds.
Besides AB, Dave has some manifolds too I believe.

I don't think Swagelok has manifolds in the small fitting
sizes but they do have Tees and cross connects that you can
fit to valves -- last I looked, anyway. And the Swagelok
stuff comes with choices of fitting types (pipe and
tubeing) so it can easily fit tubing -- including swaged
fittings meant especially for good seals with tubing --
hence the company name.

sh

--- James Purchase <jppurchase at sympatico_ca> wrote:

> Way back on February 12th, I posted a question for the
> technical gurus on
> CO2 equipment. Not one person seemed to notice, as I
> never got any
> the list, or I was
> being ignored. (the title of the message was "Needle
> Valve / Metering Valve
> for CO2").
>
> Then, low and behold, Chris Hott expressed his
> frustration in finding a
> needle/metering valve, and he was getting answers. Hmmmm,
> maybe I ought to
> take my new dual stage CO2 regulator and go play in
> another sandbox.....
>
> But all kidding aside, I really would like some input.
>
> I'll be moving in a few months and want to be able to
> have one CO2 cylinder
> serve a number of tanks. I'll need a manifold to
> distribute the gas. As I
> said in my earlier post:
>
> Aquabotanic sells a 4Plex Manifold which apparently has
> built-in needle
> valves. Could this be used down-stream from a higher
> quality metering valve
> to distribute CO2 to multiple aquariums? Or would I need
> separate metering
> valves for each additional aquarium?
>
> So, what do you think? How good are the built in needle
> valves in this
> manifold? Or am I going to have to spring for separate
> Nupro/Hoke/Parker
> metering valves?
>
> Thanks,
>
> James Purchase
> Toronto

=====
Christel Kasselmann,
author of the best current authoritative text on aquatic plants
will be a featured speaker at
The Northeast Council of Aquarium Societies 30th Annual Convention.
March 18-20, 2005 at the Marriott Hotel, Farmington, CT