Re: [APD] Re: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 18, Issue 7

I think that's jsut a matter of the liquid, being denser,
not changing temp as fast. And your talking about a rapid
dump of tank. With the little bit that goes through a
regulator for aquatic plant purposes, it's not going to
cause any problems. The fellow that started this thread
jsut wanted to know if he'd be in trouble if he put his
tank off-vertical for space reasons. It's very unlikely
that he will. I've only got 5 tanks to try this with, all
at various flow rates for aquatic plant purposes and they
all do fine, even the really cheap regulators.

Has anyone gotten diff results?

sh
--- Chris Hotte <ecwh at cogeco_ca> wrote:

> S. Hieber wrote:
>
> >The frosting is from the rapid escape of the presurised
> >contents and doesn't really have much to do with the
> tank's
> >orientation.
> >
> >sh
> >
> >>I had around 300lbs left in my tank, so I took of the
> >>regulator and let
> >>'er rip. The bottom half of the tank frosted. From a
> dead
> >>sleep my two
> >>cats ran out of the house like bats outta hell from the
> >>noise.
> >>
> >>Whee waaah.
> >>
> >>Chris.
> >>
> Well, actually I believe it would. The frost line yes, is
> a direct
> result of the depressurization. The tank was left in the
> standing
> position and depressurized. The frost line appered from
> the liquid line
> and crept downward with it until the tank was empty,
> which makes sense.
> If the tank was upside down and the valve opened, the
> same would happen,
> but the frost line would move outward, towards the empty
> side of the
> container as the gas escapes. I do believe that liquid
> C02 might jet out
> of the valve however.
>
> So the effect is the same, there's just this notion of
> "right side up"
> that we have to contend with and is giving us all this
> trouble. If the
> tank were on it's 'side', valve 'upward' and pressure
> released, the
> frost line would appear horizontally across the tank and
> move 'down'
> until empty.
>
> So what kind of valve is used in space? The tank contents
> (if liquid)
> wouldn't conform to one side of the tank opposite the
> valve.
>
> - Chris.

=====
Christel Kasselmann,
author of the best current authoritative text on aquatic plants
will be a featured speaker at
The Northeast Council of Aquarium Societies 30th Annual Convention.
March 18-20, 2005 at the Marriott Hotel, Farmington, CT