[APD] DIY Aqurium Hood

I'm looking to build a wooden top for my aquarium that hinges open in the middle. I'd like to increase the amount of light in my tank up from 1.69watt/gal and currently it's the only way I can see to do it. Currently I just have an All-Glass 110watt 36" fixture on the top. I'll likely go with ahsupply for CF lighting into the 3-4watt/gal range.

I've found a few DIY links online, but still looking for the most comprehensive directions I can find, as I am not a carpenter. Also, my stand is made of particle board covered with a black wood grain veneer, which I think will be hard to match. Any ideas? There is a definite wife factor that the end product must pass.

Chris.