[APD] Modifying 4 foot light fixture

Has anyone tried and succeeded at cutting down a 4 foot T8 flourescent fixture and using it for 2 foot bulbs? Four foot fixtures are much cheaper than 2 foot fixtures, if you can even find a two foot fixture, and it seems to me you could use the same electronic ballast for the lower wattage bulb. As I remember, cheap fluorescent fixtures have all of the close tolerances in the end caps for the fixture base, and the base itself is just a straight square ended tube. I'm daring enough to try it, but if it is extremely difficult or just won't work I would sure like to know before wasting time and money.