[APD] Myths about substrates

Being an Aquarist for more decades than theres been dirt, I've seen a lot of Myths come and go.  One that has intriged me lately has been the one that if you have gravel over a certain depth, it goes bad(pick your depth). Anerobotic bacteria, etc. have been blamed for this.  I'd like to  set up a 120 gal. H(48x24x30) with a group of rocks in the center and gravel(play sand) about 6"-8" deep tapering to about 2" in the front and sides.  There are a lot of people here with more knowledge than I, so is this one myth that can be debunced or not?...thanks, Jim