[APD] Otos vs Amanos

Off topic, but here goes: I know lots of folks here have Otocinclus, and Amano shrimp as well. I worry that my otos don't have enough of the right kinds of algae to eat; they look kinda skinny. How does one feed zucchini or other blanched veggies to the otos without the shrimp gobbling it all down first? I've seen an oto happily discover a piece of zucchini and start to munch, but the shrimp eventually gang up and take over. What's the trick?
Thanks,
Rob